Irrespective of how pricey your engagement ring is, its luster will wear off with time. However, you can avoid that from happening by taking proper care of your ring. Just like most other natural materials, your engagement ring is prone to damage from discoloration, scratches, oxidation and bending but there are simple things that you can do in order to keep your ring in its new form and condition.
Tips on How to Properly Care for Your Engagement Ring
- In order to clean your engagement ring, you should get a proper, commercial jewelry cleaner (the one found in stores). You can find dipping solutions or disposable wipes to clean your ring. However, the most popular amongst them all is the dipping solution as it is the most effective. In order to clean your ring with a dipping solution, place it in a small wire dipper and let it stay there for 1-2 minutes. Once done, take it out and gently clean using a brush. Place the ring under warm water and dry it using a lint free cloth.
- Clean your ring with a cleaning solution. Adding little liquid detergent in luke-warm or warm water will make the perfect cleaning solution. The solution can be made in a small bowl. Once made, soak the ring in it for a couple of minutes and then wipe it off using a toothbrush. Dry it using a lint-free cloth.
- Heard of ammonia bath? Give your ring one. Make an ammonia solution with half ammonia and half water. Dip the ring in there for 20 minutes. Then, use a brittle brush to scrape all the dirt around the ring. Let the ring dry on an absorbent paper.
- You should also get your ring checked by a professional say once a year. Getting it checked from a jeweler will not just clean your ring professionally but he can also check it for any damages and repair it professionally. If there are any loose stones or missing stones in your ring, this is a must do.
- When you are not wearing your engagement ring, store it in a dry and clean place. Moreover, if you keep your rings in a jewelry box, ensure that the box has separate compartments. Use a soft lining and place it on the compartment and then place your ring on top to ensure it avoids all sorts of wear, tear and scratches.
Other informational pages you should check out: